Grooooooooow babies!!

How 2 men + 2 women - sex + science = 2 babies!!








This is the funny, heart-warming, tearful, inspiring, and shocking truth about my journey to have a child.








How a man, another man, a woman, another woman, a couple lawyers, a few doctors, a psychologist, a couple social workers and some agencies make a baby.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Thank You Entry

I'm sure there are so many people I'm going to forget to thank.  This is like an Oscar speech and everyone looks back and thinks, "Oh...I should have thanked so-and-so.  I can't believe I forgot him/her."  So, If I have forgotten you, please don't take it personally.  Just look again and know that you are in included in "everyone else."  ;-)

Thank you to...

My surrogacy agency

The fertility doctor who gave me some definitive advice when I needed it (Just a Little Dab of Super Glue)

Egg donation agency #1 who guided me through the process the first time when I didn't know what I was doing and egg donor #1 (I Put All My Eggs In One Basket...)

Egg donation agency #2 and egg donor #2 (Back to Square Two)

Egg donation agency #3 (same as my surrogacy agency) and egg donor #3 (I Should Go To Vegas)

My lawyer who was awesome and treated me as a person going through an emotional journey and not just a client

Anne who talked me down during my panic attacks when this process was overwhelming

Kristine S. who I had only spoken to on Facebook for the last 20 years and told me to call her immediately when I was going through a rough patch and proved she is a true friend (She Likes Me...She Really Likes Me)

The elderly nurse who gave me a funny blog entry when I had to make my donation (Warning: Adult Content)

My former neighbor and the cashier at Babies R Us who made me realize that being gay parents won't get me weird looks because the world is accepting us more and more (Gay Parents in 2011)

Dr. L. and Barbara (my doctor friends) who answered my questions every time I bugged them

Arika, Amy, Kim, Joel, Carlyn, and Paula for parenting advice (and others who I'm sure I'm missing)

Meghan who became my twin expert

Christian and Kristine for helping navigate the baby registry and for recommending a good obgyn (Thank Goodness For Mark Zuckerberg)

Kirsten and Marty for making the baby registry day more fun and for their support (A Different Kind of Wish)

My interpreting community who was so excited for me and loved to look at ultrasound pictures (The Wee-Wee Or Hoo-Ha Appointment)

Tonya who was my first "friend" in the blogosphere universe and helped me realize I wasn't going through this alone (Babydreams2011)

All the bloggers who have become my e-family now and have given me inspiration, laughs and support (My Online Family)

Abby A. and Sheila for their beautiful baby gifts that were given to me before Derek and I had babies coming (I'm At a Loss For Words)

My Mexican dinner friends (Abby, Bethany, Jeff and Paula) who had dinner with Derek and me after the successful transfer and a special thanks to Bethany for wearing her "pregnancy dress" for good luck

Everyone who helped to organize the two baby showers and everyone who attended and helped us get the things we needed to take care of the babies (Baby Shower #1)

My 4 (yep...FOUR) friends who were serious about being my egg donor.  Your faith in me being a dad and friendship means so much. (I Put All My Eggs In One Basket...And Then the Basket Broke)

Neil Patrick Harris even though he still hasn't commented on my blog.  I'm hoping he really does follow the blog and will post something one day.  (I'm The Next Neil Patrick Harris)

Tiffany (a.k.a. Michaela) who provided amazing support while went through surrogacy together and came up with some great song ideas for our musical (My Friend Michaela)

My family (The Grandmothers To Be)

Derek (My Better Half)

Everyone else who provided support to me

And of course Chloe who stuck with me through all the ups and downs and gave me two beautiful children (The Nicest Email)

I love looking back at this journey as it nears its completion.  As you can see, these babies have had so much love and support since before they were even embryos.  This journey has been incredible.  It has been an experience like no other and very few people get to go through the extreme heartache and celebration that comes with something like this.  I hope that those of you going through this process have the same success I did.  I know how strong the feelings are to become a parent and I feel so fortunate to make my dreams come true and I want the same for everyone else with that passion.  I also have to thank egg donors and surrogates for what they do.  Some of the blogs I have seen have a picture that says, "I make families.  What's your special power?"  There are very few powers that can compete with what these women do for people like me.  So thank you and know that not a day will go by that we don't thank you for your help.

6 comments:

  1. So great Michael! I have only been following you for a short time but that doesn't stop me from feeling so excited for you. Snuggle those babies every chance you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious that your countdown clock still says 9 days to go! ;)

    -Tiff

    PS: Thanks for the shout out. Right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry!! I have loved following your blog so much... I hope you update us on the boys and how you guys are adjusting to daddyhood! <3 u tons Michael! xoxo~ Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was super sweet and such a great idea to refer to your old posts to tell the story of your long journey to fatherhood (I may steal that idea..haha!). We are so fortunate to have this community of friends, family, blog buddies and other people we have met along this path. Please keep us posted on the boys as the continue to grow and become a part of your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I am a PhD Student in Paris, France and do a research on surrogate mothers. I was wondering if you might be interested to propose to your surrogate mother to participate in my study? it would imply me sending her through email several questionnaires (3) and a consent form. It would be anonymous.I already have met with several surros but the more the better for the research! Let me know if you'd like that. I can answer all your questions too. Take care and bravo!

    Ellen Lorenceau
    PhD student
    Université Paris Ouest

    ReplyDelete
  6. my email
    elorenceau@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete